Day 14 - Wonderful Church Day & a Terrible Uber Driver
You could say that today was one of my top 3 favorite days of the trip! Maggie and I went to the same church that we had attended the week before and it was so nice to see familiar faces. They also were super happy to see us. They went out of their way to make sure Maggie and I went to the right classes and that we had someone sitting beside us helping.
I love to see something so familiar to me in another language.
This lady was a shining light. Her sweet soul illuminated the room. She told me that she met missionaries, like my son, only a year ago and had been baptized. She said how it changed her life.
I don't know what it is with me and Brazilian kids but I just adore them! This cute kid was trying teach me Portuguese and I was trying to teach him English. We had a lot of good belly laughs. It was so fun!
After church, Brother and Sister Borgess invited me back to their house for lunch. I had messaged Sister Borgess a few days before to let her know that we would be attending church again and she let me know then that they would be feeding me. She went all out!!
Spaghetti, pork, shepherd's pie, beans, rice, dessert!
The 4 sister missionaries also came over to join us. It was a very unique experience that I'm not sure if I will ever have again in my life. To be able to be in someone's home from a place you don't know anyone is so special. They really made me feel welcome.
I forgot to share that Brother Burgess made a super special juice that was AMAZING!! I had two large glasses!
They had originally made açai for dessert but didn't realize that one of her daughters invited all of the missionaries over, too, so there wasn't enough. Instead they quickly made this Bolo Podre for us. We just ate it out of a cup before it completely set and it was delicious!
I get a little teary eyed looking at the pictures below because I actually felt as if I was one of their family members. They made me feel like I belonged there. We made a sweet connection. They will be coming out to Utah in a year and a half and I told them they can stay with me and my family! I'm so excited to host them!!
This sister was the only missionary who spoke any English. She is from São Paulo.
Funny but really not so funny story. I hopped into an Uber to take me back to the hotel by myself. The family was fairly confident that I would be okay. Well, the Uber driver wouldn't take me all the way to the hotel. He dropped me off about a mile away, in the middle of a scary part of town. I tried not to cry when he basically kicked me out of his car. I was in a dress, with blond hair & blue eyes. I stood out like a sore thumb! I decided that I would be fine. I looked across the street and down a bit and saw a little cafe where people were sitting outside eating. I crossed the street and stood right next to some of the people. I felt that they wouldn't let anything happen to me, even though they didn't know me. I had faith that it would all be okay. I was able to get in touch with some of the other students and, thankfully, they were only a few blocks away from me so started walking over to pick me up. Then we walked quickly and quietly to our hotel. It all worked out but it was a little terrifying at the time.
I decided to stay in my room for the rest of the night and just relax. It was nice.
Comments
Post a Comment