Day 18 - Leaving Brazil Again and I'm Home!

 I slept well in Maggie’s room. I woke up at 6:45am and started getting ready. I'm trying not to feel anxious about the first flight.  I know that it will all work out and that this was supposed to be like this.  I’m not sure what adventures lie ahead for me today but I’m ready to take them on.  It will be nice to practice my Portuguese for one more day.  

I ate breakfast at the hotel and it was so good. I had tapioca for the last time for a long while. I'm going to miss this food so much!


I ordered an Uber and tried to have a positive attitude.   The driver was super nice and I felt safe and secure in his vehicle.  He even chatted with me for a few minutes.  I noticed that most of the Uber drivers on my trip didn’t want to interact with me that much, even when I tried to speak Portuguese with them.  Probably because they do this day in and day out and it probably gets old for them.


I got to the airport and waited in a line for a long time to check my bag and get printed boarding passes. The girl was super nice and let me wait while I watched my luggage go on the belt and head for the back.  I didn’t get to see that yesterday and my luggage was already left behind.  This was something that was causing me some stress so I was happy to see that go well.  I got checked in and through security. I waited at my gate for a little over 2 hours. I am feeling calm because I have a seat number this time. I’m going to make the best of it. I got some snacks for the plane.


I made it on the first plane!


I boarded the plane and it took off. I feel so much better. Hoping the rest of the trip home goes smoothly. There was some type of sports team on my flight from Fortaleza.  I sat next to the owner or the coach.  All of the players stopped to talk to him on their way past our seats.  I stopped one of the team

members and asked if I could take a picture.  The funny thing is that I purchased one of their jerseys during my first week in Belém.  Now I will have two memories tied to the jersey.  I now have a small desire to know more about Futebol (soccer).  I probably should watch it and actually know who the teams are.  Haha!  If I’m going to wear their jerseys, at least.  




To be honest, I haven’t let myself have a total breakdown yet.  Even when I landed and went through customs in São Paulo, a part of me had this fear, that is not irrational, that I might be stuck here without a flight to Atlanta.  Right now I find myself sitting in a Starbucks waiting area, since it’s the only place I can charge my phone in this airport, and also sipping on a hot chocolate to warm my soul.  The weather is different here and it is quite the contrast from the heat and humidity I was used to in Belém.  If I haven’t said this before, I’m a very religious person and I know that there is a meaning that this setback has happened to me.  Maybe it was just having the opportunity to have quality time with Maggie and really discuss our experiences on this Study Abroad last night.  Or it might be another reason that I don’t know yet.


One of the blessings with my trip being delayed a day was that I got to sit next to this wonderful human.  She didn't speak any English and was so grateful that I knew a little bit of Portuguese.  Funny thing is that I was translated for her with the steward!  LOL!!  She would just look at me and I would let them know what she wanted or needed. I feel that this was one of the reasons that I was meant to miss the plane yesterday.  The Lord works in mysterious ways.  


The food was so good on this flight!  I felt a little bit spoiled!



Back in the USA!!  First thing I did at the Atlanta airport was get a Diet Mountain Dew!  Yay!


What a beautiful site!!  Just to see familiar loving faces after such an ordeal was wonderful!  I love these people!


My husband drove through Chickfila on our way home. Bless his heart!  


Even though I am so happy to be home I will forever be grateful that I took a chance and signed up for this Study Abroad.  It was an experience of a lifetime.  I learned a lot about Brazil and the people but the best part was I learned a lot about me.  I want to be a better person because of this opportunity.


Comments