Day 4 - Ver-o-Peso

We started our day by heading to Ver-o-Peso, which is a HUGE outdoor/indoor market along with a fish market.  Click HERE to learn more about the Ver-o-Peso.  The walk there was incredible and the view breathtaking!!  It seems that Belém has vultures instead of pigeons and seagulls that we may be used to in the states.  They gave this old catholic church a gothic feel.  


At the market, I had my first ever fresh açai bowl.  The stuff we get in the states is not the same at all.  This was more like a smooth soup that you add sugar, tapioca, and another type of texture to it.  I didn't like it the first time I tried it but then I was hooked.  


I asked the worker if I could take his picture and he said yes.  I felt that it was polite to ask anyone I took a picture of first for permission.  Most of the time they were super happy to do it.  


Next, I got to try Jambú.  This was a very interesting experience! You bite the entire middle part and start chewing.  After about 30 seconds, your mouth starts to tingle and feels as if it's going numb.  It was actually pretty cool.  I found this definition on the internet and it explains it a little bit better.  "The plant in Belém, Brazil, that causes a numbing sensation in the mouth is called Jambu (Acmella oleracea). It's known for its unique tingling and numbing effect, primarily due to the spilanthol compound found in its flowers and leaves. This property makes it a popular ingredient in traditional dishes like tacacá, a sour soup, and in drinks like cachaça jambu. "


The indoor fish market smelled exactly like you would expect it to.... FISH, and fish, and, of course, more fish!  If you didn't know it before, I'm not a huge fan of fish, at least not until this trip.  More to come about my seafood adventure later in this blog.  


We walked over to the river port which is near an indoor shopping mall with restaurants.  This sweet lady came over to me and just starting chatting away.  I tried to communicate the best that I could with my very beginner Portuguese.  We seemed to have a connection and I felt like I had known her forever.  We both asked if we could take pictures with each other and it was super sweet.  She said she was there visiting her sister who lived in Belém.  I was able to tell her that my son also lives in Brazil and that made her happy.  These are the types of moments that I was hoping for on this trip to Brazil.  I am already in love with these people!  


And, of course, the ice cream did not disappoint!  The only thing is.... you have to eat it fast or it will melt away!  That wasn't a problem at all.  :) 


Next, we tried to visit another museum but, unfortunately, it was closed.  We walked around the grounds for a bit before heading back to the hostel. 


This fort was right on the water and in a great location for protecting the city.  I wondered to myself how it would have been to live here during that time.  If you look at the picture below you will see the huge church off to the left.  There were multiple churches around this area.  It shows me that the people wanted to protect themselves and also their religion.  


Our hostel was very unique in the way that our rooms were directly above a club.  That's right... an actual club that seemed like one of the biggest in the city but I don't know that for a fact.  It was super crowded and LOUD.  But, of course, I had to show these youngins that this old lady still could keep up with them.  I showed them some moves on the dance floor and they were a bit shocked.  This was a super fun night!  

The only downside to having your rooms above a club is that it was super loud and vibrated our beds until 1:30 in the morning.  Maybe later, I'm not sure.  I was, surprisingly, able to fall asleep!! 


Comments